What influence does gender have on our development and daily life? How can we start to deconstruct the toxic and learned masculine and feminine norms our culture has taught us? This week I invited Nick McArthur on the show to dive into these topics.
Nick McArthur is just a guy, a guy with a wife, five kids, an online business as a branding guru, a speaker and activist. He also happens to have a history of being a woman. This gives him the very rare privilege of seeing the world from both sides of the gender coin. You can follow his work at epicdanger.com and his musings about all things life, gender and trans related experiences at theverybestman.com You can also creep Nick and his family on instagram @epicdanger.
There were so many things I loved about this episode. It was great to get a broader perspective on these topics:
- Gender identity
- men and the 3 Ps, (power, protect, procreate)
- the privilege of being male
- being a feminist and who/what that encompasses
- being an every day activist and educating others
- the differences in how men and women are treated by society (both by men and women)
- how our ideas about gender affect our parenting
- and what we can do to change the world (with a great deal of super-hero references thrown in).
Resources mentioned in the show:
Predatory Romance in Harrison Ford Movies (it will make you sad/mad but you should still watch it)
Bare Reality (breasts and penises)
I have to say this is one of the best conversations about gender I’ve ever had and I hope it’s the first of many. There is so much to think about and so much more we could’ve said. There’s definitely more than enough material there to make an entire series! I want to thank Nick again for being on the show!
PS – Don’t forget to join the conversation on the Facebook! I’d love to have you join the group and get the chance to know each other better!
Get my free Spiritual Type Quiz!
Which of the 8 Spiritual Types do you align with?